Skip to main content

Value vs Price


A realtor recently posted something about value versus price and it really got me thinking…

I was at the grocery store and I was going to buy some steak. There were the premium brands and then there were a bunch with a big red sticker on them at a discounted price. The first thing I did was pick up and thoroughly inspect the discounted meat because my first instinct was that something had to be wrong with it in order for it to be priced so low. Those of you who know me, know that I am always looking for a bargain so I pondered over the small purchase and decided to go with the more expensive steak. Why? The perceived value.

 I think it is the same in real estate. I often hear people asking who is the cheapest for inspections, lawyers, appraisals, realtors ext. When it comes to potentially the largest purchase of your life, do you really want to use the most discounted services? Personally, I use the people who I feel confident will give me excellent service. Sometimes that old saying “you get what you pay for” rings true. For example, I would rather use the home inspector who costs a little more if they catch a flaw that could potentially cost me thousands if it went unnoticed. Or a realtor who has a higher commission if they will sell my property faster or get me a better bargain on a purchase, which could again save me thousands.

I know this can be a touchy subject, but it is just some food for thought…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is Computershare and why are they registered on title?

If you are using a non-bank lender for your mortgage, you may notice that your mortgage has been registered in the name of “Computershare Trust Company of Canada”. This registration does not affect the terms and conditions of your mortgage in any way. Computershare holds no beneficial interest or rights to the mortgage loan. This is merely a third party, custodial arrangement which means that your lender has used Computershare to review the mortgage and provide custodial certification to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp (CMHC) for their government securities program. Computershare is the largest provider globally of many of the services they offer and the largest corporate trust service provider in Canada. They have successfully provided this custodial service to many Canadian bank and non-bank lenders for many years and they play a very important role in the Government of Canada’s NHA Mortgage-Backed Securities Program. Computershare has served as the exclusive Central Payor and Tr...

When is an appraisal required?

In mortgage financing, appraisals are required to confirm the value as well as the condition of a property. Here are the most common scenarios where they could be required: Private sales Unique properties (log homes, mobile homes ext) Non-arms length transactions (ex between family members) Acreages and/or rural properties (or properties with large outbuildings or animals) Properties where there could be structural issues (ex MLS listings referring to "handyman special" ext") Refinances or renewals Conventional mortgages (or for those putting 20% or more down) Rental properties New construction  Some lenders will rebate the cost however you should budget to have the funds available. Most banks who "cover" the cost, simply charge it back to you at closing. As the mortgage lending landscape tightens, we have been seeing more requirements for appraisals so it is best to be prepared in case one is required. www.christinebuemann.ca

Did you know that we can refinance up to 95% in order to remove someone from title?

Did you know that we can refinance up to 95% in order to remove someone from title?  Not only are we seeing more separations than ever, we are also seeing more co-signing required from family. This means that we needed a simple and useful too for removing one person from title, without being limited to the 80% refinance rule . Here is what you will need: A purchase agreement confirming the current value Current mortgage statement A legally binding agreement by the two parties detailing the buyout For more information on this or if you have any questions or concerns - please feel free to contact me. www.christinebuemann.ca